Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Potty training helpful hints

These are a few things I've discovered were very helpful to me during my potty training adventures with these little munchkins:

1. PADDED UNDERWEAR
These things are GREAT! It looks and feels like real underwear but there is just enough padding in the lining to absorb one "accident." This reduces the laundry load because it doesn't always make the shorts wet and they can be washed and bleached easily. The key is, don't look for them on the underwear aisle - they are normally in the baby section where the hooded towels and packages of baby onesies are kept. I have found them at Target and HEB.

2. POTTY CHARTS
Implementing a reward system has helped them tremendously. Here are the categories:
GO FAST - 1 check mark
GO POTTY - 1 check mark pee, 2 check marks poop
WASH HANDS - 1 check mark
DRY DAY - prize
For every 10 check marks they earn, they get a prize. I keep a basket of goodies locked away (cheap dollar store items, stickers, and some candy).

3. PUTTING 2 OR 3 SETS OF SHEETS ON A BED
I discovered that Target carries a flat waterproof pad that doesn't gather like a fitted sheet does. I got the idea that perhaps I could layer sets of sheets on a bed with a waterproof pad in-between. When the boys have accidents in their beds, it is easy to whip off the wet sheets and pad, and there is a fresh sheet set ready for them to go right back to sleep. Plus, if I am busy the next day I don't have to worry about getting the wet sheets washed, dried, and back on the bed before bed time the next night. This has helped me really let go of the diapers and pull ups. They still have accidents almost every night, but I'm sticking to my guns and hoping they will "get it" one of these days.

4. POTTY AND POTTY KIT IN THE CAR
I took one of our toddler potties and put it in the car with a plastic grocery bag lining the bottom. I put about 10 paper towels in the bottom of the potty to help absorb the liquid. I drive around with the potty ready to go, so if one of them needs to go I can pull over into a parking lot and they can take care of business. I have a laundry basket in my car that I call my "Potty Kit" which contains baby wipes, Clorox Wipes, extra undies, extra clothes, a roll of paper towels, and plastic grocery bags. Once they are finished with the potty, I pull up the plastic bag, tie it up, and set up the potty for the next time.

Bye bye diapers!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great tips! I've decided to put off potty training until our new little one arrives and we are used to the new schedule...oh and I have some patience again :) I'll keep these things in mind. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message for me. I'd love to hear from you!