Sunday, August 1, 2010

Suffering

A phrase from last week's sermon has struck a chord within me. I have pondered it over the past week and I know it is true, even though at the time it is difficult to believe. Here it is:

"God will preserve us IN suffering,
not preserve us FROM suffering."

As a Christian, I am not promised a better life on earth or an easy time. Why do I continue to believe that being a Christian will somehow make my life easy? When my world is falling apart, it is God who is holding me together.

When we are in the depths of our sorrows or crying out in anger or frustration, He knows, and He cares, and He is preserving me in the midst of suffering. It is not a question of whether or not suffering will occur, but when, and how. It is up to us to keep looking to Him for guidance and support during the trials of life.

Think about it. Do you believe it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message for me. I'd love to hear from you!