Friday, October 16, 2009

Our special day together

Monday was a school holiday, so I wanted to do something special for them, but kept striking out in my efforts. When the boys woke up that morning I told them I had a special surprise in store for them. We went to Chic-Fil-A for breakfast and ate some yummy chicken sandwiches with honey. Then we loaded back into the car and I told them we were headed to the surprise place. The boys could hardly stand it and were yelling out "Yeah!!!" with big smiles on their faces.

Strike One:

We headed towards the Woodlands and parked right outside the Children's Museum. I remember thinking how lucky I was to snag such a close parking spot, especially on a holiday where a lot of kids were out of school. We walked to the front door and the boys were SOOOOOOO excited to be going to the museum.

A sign taped to the window stopped us in our tracks. CLOSED!!! They were not just closed for the day, but closed down for good. We peered inside and there were packing boxes and stuff strewn about.

The boys were so disappointed and started to cry. I thought about the carousel that was in the food court area of the mall, and convinced them to walk back to the car so that we could go ride the horses on the carousel. Tearfully, they walked back to the car, and we drove around to the side of the mall near the food court.

Strike 2:

We walked in the mall and went up the escalator to find the carousel. Guess what? The carousel was out of service too! The boys were not happy about this either.

Strike 3:

I thought about the children's play place in the mall, so we headed in that direction. The boys played for about 10 minutes until one of them had an accident in their pants. Naturally, I had nothing with me so we had to leave the mall, once again with much crying and gnashing of teeth.

At this point I was frustrated. I had envisioned a fun day of exploring and dressing up at the museum and everything I tried to do was just not working out.

We ended up eating lunch sitting in the swivel barstools at Johnny Rockets, so they enjoyed making their stools swivel back and forth.

The Homerun:

That afternoon, I took them to the movies to see the 3D double feature of Toy Story and Toy Story 2. We played in the video arcade between movies, and gorged ourselves
on popcorn and candy, so the day was not all lost!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message for me. I'd love to hear from you!