Friday, May 7, 2010

Thankful Thursday (another Friday edition)


Five years ago yesterday my sweet twins surprised us by arriving three months early with a combined weight of just over 4 1/2 pounds fighting for their lives. They continue to surprise and amaze me every day, and I am thankful for them.

The other day when I was flipping through my old Bible, I found a piece of paper that spelled out days and people that had signed up to bring us meals after the boys were born. I keep that piece of paper in my Bible to remind me how grateful I was to have friends and family take care of us during our time of need.

Durig the three months after the boys were born but were still in the hospital, different families took turns bringing meals to our house, leaving them in our fridge, and when we would get home at night we would eat a home cooked meal. I am so thankful for each and every person who helped us in any way during that period of time which is like a blur to me. Some people checked our mail for us, a neighbor helped get a tree cleared out of our yard that fell the day before I was released from the hospital after giving birth, the complete strangers who took time to visit us in the hospital who heard about our situation through a friend or church member, the gift cards to restaurants and meals that were prepared on our behlf. I couldn't possibly name all of the wonderful people whose small acts of kindness were so helpful and were so greatly appreciated, even five years later. One lady who knew my parents from church visited me in the hospital several times, even though I had never met her before, and left me a goody bag to keep with me in my locker at the hospital. It contained granola bars, a magazine, and liquid coffee creamer containers. Such a small thing was so helpful and encouraging to me. I know their good deeds are known by the Father and I believe that God somehow blessed them because they blessed me with their kindness.

Whenever people have tragedies in their lives, it can seem like a trivial thing to offer to mow their lawn, bring a meal, pick up dry cleaning, or whatever, but believe me, it's the small things that matter and get you through the trials.

If you were a part of the prayer warriors who prayed constantly, brought a meal, or any other kind act during the boys' hospital stay after their birth, thank you from the bottom of my heart. You truly blessed my life and I am forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message for me. I'd love to hear from you!