Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Our new friend

Last night, we participated in a church event. 270 kids from a church in a low income area of town arrived on buses, and our church members "adopted" one or more children for the night to bring them to Walmart to buy school supplies and share a meal.

Our family "adopted" a 6 year old little boy and we brought him to Walmart. Since I avoid bringing my kids to Walmart at all costs (so I don't have to constantly fight the "I want this, I want that," I was a little nervous about how they would act. I had informed them ahead of time that we would get to meet a new friend and help him find school supplies and clothes for school.

I was amazed at how well they behaved. They still grabbed a lot of things, but instead of saying "I want this, I want that," they were grabbing things to show the boy saying "Do you like this? Do you like that?"

Afterwards, we went to everyone's favorite, Cici's Pizza, where we grubbed on some pizza and brownies. The boy (we'll call him "D") was so sweet, and when Matt realized he had forgotten to get a straw "D" jumped up to get one for him. He was so well mannered.

The boys were so sad when "D" had to leave. I'm glad we did this, and will do it again next year. It truly is rewarding to be the hands and feet of Jesus, meeting people's needs, perhaps we get more out of serving than those who are served.

We will definitely do this again next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message for me. I'd love to hear from you!